Opening activity for participants to remember each others names. Can be used as a GAME.
Preparation time: 5 min
Playing time: approx 20 min + reflection
Number of players: basically unlimited
Materials: flipchart with rules
Preparation of the game
Write the rules on a flipchart paper:
- every person needs to remember the name of everyone from the project (choose wording according your context)
- that the task is fulfilled will be checked by random selection of participants who are to name everybody
- facilitator will inform you when the half of the time will pass
- time of game: (leave empty, fill according participants choice)
Prep of participants
- Gather participants. Ask them if they remember the name of everybody present.
- Ask them how much time they need to remember everybody. Challenge them. Ask them for a short time (anything from 5 minutes to 20 minute is fine – depends on the size of the group).
- Let them select the time (make it shorter if it is too long).
- Reveal the flipchart with rules and fill the time they choose there.
- Start the game with a stopwatch. Observe how they are doing.
- In a middle of the time, take their attention. Announce that half of the time is gone and ask them: “Is what are you doing working so far? Which actions are effective, and which are ineffective?”
- When the time is off, ask them if they reach the goal. If not, ask them how much more time they need and prolong the period.
- When the 2nd time is off, gather them in a circle and ask for a volunteer to name everybody. The 2nd “volunteer” should be selected randomly by you. Let people to support each other with naming.
- As a facilitator, you might wanna make an effort to remember everybody as well. Participants should be able to name all facilitators as well.
- Feelings. How was it for you?
- What happened. What strategies you used? Which work and which didn’t work?
- Take-away. What will you take from this for your future?